Commonly errors in the use of noun occurs because
a) Some nouns are same in singular and plural form.
b) Some nouns come only in plural form.
c) Plural form of some nouns is used in singular. etc.
To remove these errors you should go through following tips.
1) Some collective nouns are plural even in singular form.-cattle, gentry, people, poultry, folk, police, government etc.
· The cattle were grazing in the garden.
· All gentry re present in the party.
· People are against corruption.
2) Some nouns are same in singular and plural form-sheep, deer, fish, swine, means wages, pubic, etc.
· Sheep are going in the forest.
· His means are small.
3) Dozens, hundred, thousand, million, pair.
A) These words if come after a digit/number are used as singular.
· Three dozen oranges.
· five hundred sentences.
· Six thousand people.
B) These words if come before preposition “of” are used as plural.
· Dozens of cows.
· Hundred of people.
· Thousands of viewers.
4) Some nouns always come in plural form-scissors, spectacles, trousers, tongs, measles, thanks, assets, riches, etc.
- His spectacles are imported.
- My trousers are costly.
- My thanks are due to you.
5) Abstract nouns are not used in plural form- kindness, charity, love, hope, poverty.
6) Material nouns are not used in plural form- wood, iron, copper, water, etc.
7) Some Nouns always come in singular form-hair, scenery, furniture, information, vacation, advice, fruit, issue, abuse, luggage, poetry, weather, etc.
· His hair is curly.
· Office was full of furniture.
· Information was false.
8) Some nouns look like plural because they end with ‘ s’ but they are used as singular –physics, news, mathematics, mechanics, athletics, politics, summons, economics, innings etc.
· He is good at mathematics.
· News is bad.
· First innings was not that good.
9) Use following nouns in full; not in short.
a) Blotting paper not blotting.
b) Boarding house not boarding.
c) Signature not signs.
d) Copy book not copy.
10) When some noun a) Represent number, measure, distance, etc. and b) Used as adjective
Then they are used in singular form.
Exampleà He gave me ten rupee note.
I am only four year old
This path is five kilometer long...
Otherwise they come in plural form.
1) He has been living here for four years.
2) People were five thousands.
For practice see noun—common errors-1