Interjections - expression of emotions

 

Interjections

Definition

Interjections are words or phrases that are used to express strong emotions, reactions, or attitudes. They are typically inserted into sentences as standalone expressions and do not grammatically connect with the rest of the sentence structure.

Types of Interjections:

Interjections can be classified into several categories based on the emotions or reactions they convey:

  1. Joy and Approval:
    • Wow! Bravo! Hooray! Yippee!
  2. Surprise and Shock:
    • Oh! Wow! Oops! Gosh!
  3. Disapproval and Frustration:
    • Ugh! Darn!
  4. Attention and Address:
    • Hey! Yo! Listen! Hello!
  5. Pain and Relief:
    • Ouch! Ah! Phew! Aha!
  6. Confusion and Uncertainty:
    • Huh! What! Um!

Examples of Interjections:

  1. Wow! That was an amazing performance!
  2. Ouch! That hurt!
  3. Hey! Look over here!
  4. Ah, I finally understand!
  5. Oops! I made a mistake.
  6. Ugh, I can't believe it's raining again.
  7. Yippee! We won the game!
  8. Huh? What did you say?
  9. Bravo! That was a brilliant speech!

Exercises for practice

Exercise 1: Read each sentence and identify the interjection used.

  1. Wow, that's incredible!
  2. Ouch, I stubbed my toe!
  3. Hey, can you pass the salt?
  4. Ah, I see what you mean.
  5. Oops, I dropped my phone!

Exercise 2: Add an appropriate interjection to each sentence to express the emotion indicated.

  1. ____! That's amazing news!
  2. ____! I can't believe you did that!
  3. ____! I forgot my wallet at home.
  4. ____! It's already midnight.
  5. ____! You scared me!

Answers

Exercise 1:

  1. Wow, that's incredible!
  2. Ouch, I stubbed my toe!
  3. Hey, can you pass the salt?
  4. Ah, I see what you mean.
  5. Oops, I dropped my phone!

Exercise 2: Adding Interjections

  1. Yay! That's amazing news!
  2. Oh my goodness! I can't believe you did that!
  3. Shoot! I forgot my wallet at home.
  4. Good grief! It's already midnight.
  5. Boo! You scared me!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please keep your views respectful and not include any promotional comments. Such comments will be removed and your IP will be blocked for future purpose.