Before doing these exercises you would like to read Importance of translation
Q) Translate following sentences into your mother language.
1. He laughs best who laughs last.
2. They never die who die for their nation.
3. Uneasy lies the head that wears the crown.
4. Times which is lost is lost forever.
5. All is well that ends wells.
6. They watched television at bed time.
7. You can sit wherever you like.
8. The hell is where evil is.
9. Walk carefully lest you should fall down.
10. As you saw, so shall you reap.
11. God is omnipresent.
12. Rose smells sweet.
13. I do not know his whereabouts.
14. The hunter chased the dear.
15. Heavy rain flooded the town.
16. He is not sturdy but he is healthy.
17. She gets wet in rain.
18. He proceeded for a long leave on account of ill health.
19. He completed the assignment in spite of lack of time.
20. He is at home in English.
21. We decided to go to
at the eleventh hour. Delhi
22. My house is at stone’s throw from the school.
23. All cry against him but nobody has the courage to bell the cat.
can progress leaps& bounds if we work together. India
25. The servant must carry out the orders of his master
26. Please carry on your work).
27. He comes of a rich family.
28. To win a scholarship is not a child’s play
29. All his efforts to get first class in exam ended in smoke.
30. An intelligent boy always gets through an exam.
31. You should give up smoking.
32. The roof gave way after a heavy rain
33. The cm gave away prizes to the sportsman.
34. He threw himself heart and soul into work.
35. There are no hard and fast rules in English Grammar.
36. He had a hair breadth escape in car accident.
37. Honesty pays in the long run.
38. I am in a fix and want your help.
39. Everybody loves his kith kin.
40. A Youngman should keep pace with the changing times.
41. The rich should not look down upon the poor.
42. The poor can not make both ends meet these days.
43. One should nip the evil in the bud.
44. Youth is only a nine days wonder.
45. Bribery is the order of the day.
46. He visited our house off and on.
47. He is very cunning; beware of his oil tongue.
48. He insulted me and I paid him in same coin by slapping him.
49. The 26th Jan is a red letter day in Indian history.
50. The news of Pt.Nehru `s deadth spread like wild fire.
For further practice see
For translation exercises on paragraphs see